Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Why I Run

I have been thinking a lot about why I decided to run recently.  Who in their right mind, that has never been a runner in their life, decides to pick up running? And not just running but half marathons and hopefully soon to be marathons as well?

When I think about it I have actually always wanted to be a runner but I always lacked motivation for the follow through.  Looking back on my student teaching I remember mentioning to a fellow teacher that I would like to run a half marathon someday.  Even further back, in college, I remember going to the gym and just being happy I survived a mile.  Over these years I have been in different stages of weight/shape and somehow running never "clicked."

Then, last year, I decided I HAD to do something about my weight.  I had gained a lot with my first child and at that point I was already on a mission to lose weight.  6 months following my son being born I was pregnant with my daughter.  It took me probably a 9 months or so to really get on board to losing weight after she was born and I was FINALLY within about 15lbs of my first (and possibly final) goal depending on how I felt at that weight. I had started running for the first time, was up to about 3 miles, and was feeling good. Then my husband left town for work and I started gaining all of what I had lost back.  It was completely my fault because I had fallen into bad eating and exercise habits again and it took awhile to pull myself out of that hole.

Then December came and I had decided to watch my intake and then The Husband got my treadmill for me for Christmas and I was able to start running again. I have steadily upped my mileage since and ran 2-5ks and ran my first half marathon 10 days ago.  I do have to say that losing weight was one of the primary reason for me wanting to run.

However, in reality that is not my main reason for wanting to run and thus lose weight.  These guys are!
I want to be healthy and active for them.  I want to teach them a healthy lifestyle and how to have a healthy relationship with food.  I am finally on my way back down in my weight and I am glad to have running to help with that.  At this point, I don't just run to lose weight but I truly enjoy it! I love the feeling I get after a run and the feeling of my feet hitting the pavement during.  It really is a "runner's high" and I am glad that I finally actualized my dreams of becoming a runner.

These kiddos see The Husband and I eating healthy, working out, and teaching them the importance of those things.  I am glad that is something I am able to pass on to them so they, hopefully, don't struggle as I have getting to this point. They need and deserve a healthy Mama (and Daddy) and we are doing everything we can to make sure that is exactly what they get!

6 comments:

  1. Love this! I feel the same way, I thought to myself the other day that even if I never lost another pound, I would still run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so true - I want to be active and healthy for my kids, too! (Plus, I need the energy to chase them around!)

    Hey - we both ran our first Half Marathons on the same day! Congrats to us! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Congrats!!! And energy is always a plus! These guys are nutty sometimes =)

      Delete
  3. What a fabulous reason to run! :) I love this post! Congrats on what you've accomplished!!

    ReplyDelete