Thursday, April 25, 2013

Seriously?! An Injury?!

Why wouldn't I start having pain in my foot during my last week of training before the half marathon??

During the beginning of my 11 miler this past Sunday, I noticed a twinge in my foot.  I went ahead and ran through it and by the time I got back to the car I could barely walk because of the pain.  I also had some pain in my knee.  I had already noticed some runner's knee from last spring when I was running and I wear the jumper's knee braces when I run and don't have any pain.  Well, now I have ordered an IT band compression wrap because I am thinking the pain I had on Sunday was due to my IT band.  As far as the foot, I believe that it may be Plantar Fasciitis.  It is right in the arch of my foot and that is the most common problem I am seeing come from that area.

Monday I iced my knee and haven't had any trouble with it since but because of my foot I have not had an opportunity to run to test it.  My foot has been iced, rested, and elevated as much as possible since Monday as well and I have been wearing my running shoes everywhere and not been going barefoot.  I ordered some KT tape and I am hoping to tape it as well as my IT band and I am crossing my fingers that I can do my 12 mile run Sunday without pain.  If I am still hurting considerably I plan to skip it and just rest until the half and hope that I make it through most of it without pain.  Here's hoping.

4 comments:

  1. So sorry! If it's PF in the foot, do not run at ALL! I made that mistake and I was out for about 10 months, unable to really even walk normally most days. I know they say to not go barefoot, but what ended up helping me in the end was going barefoot and foot strengthening exercises...and calf stretching. Sorry...totally unsolicited advice! I hope you recover fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I love advice. I am really, really hoping that I am just over-diagnosing myself and I just strained a muscle or something? Wishful thinking possibly but I REALLY hope it is short lived and I don't get put out of running for longer than these 2 weeks. =( I'm really worried. I don't know if I could handle 10 months because I am really fighting to keep my fitness level up and I get discouraged fairly easily...

      Delete
  2. Oh no, so sorry to hear that! I hope the pain goes away and you are able to run!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am hoping it does, too. For my sanity!

      Delete